Zum Inhalt springen


Mariupol: A Survivor's Story


Artikel teilen

The 30-year-old Maria Kutnyakova came from one of the families who founded Mariupol. She was born and she grew up in the heart of the city. She played in the theater and was involved in the development of the region's IT sector. But, since February 24, when Russia began a full-scale invasion of Ukraine, her happy life has ended.

When the war broke out, Maria, her mother and older sister decided not to leave their hometown.

“In the first weeks of the war the shells hit many Ukrainian cities. It was dangerous everywhere. There were Ukrainian troops around our 400,000-strong city. We believed they would hold out” says Maria. “Back then, we couldn't even think that Russian soldiers would bomb our houses with aircraft.”

The girl remembers the first days of the war with horror, when panic and chaos reigned in the city.

“At the beginning of March, Russian soldiers besieged Mariupol. They cut off the city's electricity and gas” she says. “The city was plunged into darkness. There was no water and no heating. It was freezing outside. It was unbearably cold in the flat. We gathered snow to quench our thirst. We cooked our food on the fire in the courtyard.”

The situation in the city worsened day by day. Food supplies had ceased. Famine began. Looters appeared.

“We decided to save food. I ate as follows: one biscuit for breakfast, four biscuits for lunch and one biscuit for dinner” says Maria. “Shells from Grad missiles hit our house. A neighbor was hit by shrapnel in his lung. We went to neighboring houses to look for a doctor. The corpses of civilians - men, women, children - were lying on the roadsides. There were fresh graves on the playgrounds. No doctor was found. A neighbor died before our eyes. He bled out in the corridor.”

Since March 10th, Russian troops have started shelling the town non-stop. Most of those who went outside to heat water on the fire did not return, Maria says.

“We sat in total darkness in the basement. The women had a case of hysterics. The children cried. The men were swearing. You could go crazy in there” says the girl. “We began to count how many times a day we were shelled. The aircraft would drop four big bombs or eight smaller ones. We learned to distinguish by the sound of the Grads. The Russians would fire ten volleys, or even forty.”

On March 15th, Maria and her family almost died trying to board an evacuation bus.

“We left our Grad-damaged house at dawn and went to the Drama Theatre” the girl recalled. “On the road there were the corpses of people shot with “Territorial Defense armbands on their sleeves. In one of the courtyards we came across two Russian tanks marked ‘Z’ and began to run away in panic. They fired at us, but missed.”

Maria recalls that she could hardly recognise the streets of her hometown.

“The hospital and many other buildings had turned into black burnt ruins. There were huge shell craters all over the ground, corpses of people and animals.”

Maria left her mother and sister in the Drama Theatre building along with thousands of other civilians waiting for the evacuation buses.

“I checked on my uncle, who luckily turned out to be alive” says the girl. “On my way back to my mother and sister, I saw a plane dropping bombs on the theatre. The façade of the building collapsed. The side walls had fallen inwards. The debris of the walls was mixed with parts of human bodies. Everything was on fire. There were a lot of wounded people. They were screaming, howling in pain, calling for help. I thought my family had died. Then I heard them calling my name. It sounded like it was coming from underground. I thought I was hallucinating from shock. That no one was really calling me, that it was the corpses talking to me.”

Her family found Maria at the destroyed entrance to the theatre in a state of shock. They took her to a nearby square, where survivors of the airstrike on the theatre were gathering.

“There was no time to recover: the square began to be shelled by artillery. We hid in the Philharmonic Hall. There were a lot of people there too. When it got dark, Russian soldiers started shelling the Philharmonic Hall. Then we realized that they were shelling places where civilians were hiding” Maria says. “I was lying on the floor of the Philharmonic Hall at night, listening to the constant explosions and the sound of shattering glass. It was dark and very scary. I thought I hadn't been killed at home, hadn't been killed in the theatre, but I was sure to be killed here if I didn't get out now.”

At dawn, Maria, her family and other residents of Mariupol got out of the city and headed for the village of Milekino, 15 kilometers from the city.

“We walked through snow-covered fields, stepping over mines. At a roadblock near the village, Russian soldiers took a very long time to inspect the men. Many were not allowed through and taken aside. What happened to them next is scary to think about.”

After spending the night in Melekino, the family walked to Berdiansk, where they took an evacuation bus.

“On the way we were stopped at dozens of checkpoints. Russian soldiers checked everyone thoroughly, examined our belongings, and all photos in our phones. At the last checkpoint we stood all night - they did not want to let us into Ukrainian military-controlled territory. In the morning, when our bus drove forward and we saw the Ukrainian flag, we started to cry.”

RUSSIAN: Мариуполь: история выжившей 

22 два дня оккупации Мария Кутнякова жила на волоске от смерти. Она – одна из тех, кому удалось выжить и выбраться из Мариуполя.

Девушка – из семьи основателей Мариуполя. Родилась и выросла в сердце этого города. Играла в театре и занималась развитием IT-сектора региона. Но, с 24 февраля, когда Россия начала полномасштабное вторжение в Украину, ее счастливая жизнь закончилась. 

Когда началась война, 30-летняя Мария, ее мама и старшая сестра решили не уезжать из родного города. 

“В первые недели войны ракетами обстреливали многие украинские города. Везде было опасно. Вокруг нашего 400-тысячного города были украинские войска. Мы верили, что они выстоят, – рассказывает Мария. – Тогда мы даже не могли подумать, что российские солдаты будут бомбить наши дома авиацией.”

Девушка с ужасом вспоминает первые дни войны, когда в городе царили паника и хаос. 

“В начале марта Мариуполь окружили российские солдаты. Они отрезали город от электричества и газа, – говорит она. – Город погрузился во тьму. Не стало воды и отопления. На улице был мороз. В квартире – невыносимо холодно. Мы собирали снег, чтобы утолить жажду. Еду готовили на костре во дворе дома.” 

Ситуация в городе с каждым днем ухудшалась. Прекратились поставки продуктов. Начался голод. Появились мародеры.  

“Мы решили экономить еду. Я ела так: одно печенье – на завтрак, четыре печенья – на обед и одно печенье – на ужин, – говорит Мария. – В наш дом попали снаряды из Градов. Соседа ранило осколком в легкое. Мы пошли в соседние дома искать врача. На обочинах лежали трупы мирных жителей – мужчин, женщин, детей. На детских площадках – свежие могилы. Врача не нашли. Сосед умер на наших глазах. Истек кровью в коридоре.” 

С 10 марта русские войска стали обстреливать город без перерыва. Большинство тех, кто выходил на улицу подогреть воды на костре — не возвращались, говорит Мария. 

“Мы безвылазно сидели в кромешной тьме в подвале. У женщин были приступы истерики. Плакали дети. Ругались мужчины. Там можно было сойти с ума, – говорит девушка. – Мы стали считать сколько раз в день нас обстреливали. Самолет сбрасывал четыре больших бомбы или восемь поменьше. Мы научились различать по звуку Грады. Русские стреляли по десять залпов, или по сорок.”

15 марта Мария и ее семья едва не погибли, пытаясь сесть на эвакуационный автобус. 

“Мы покинули свой разрушенный Градами дом на рассвете и пошли к драматическому театру, – вспоминает девушка. – На дороге валялись трупы расстрелянных людей с повязками “Территориальной обороны” на рукавах. В одном из дворов наткнулись на два российских танка с пометкой “Z” и стали в панике убегать. Они выстрелили по нам, но промахнулись.”

Мария вспоминает, что с трудом узнавала улицы родного города. 

“Больница и многие другие здания превратилось в черные сгоревшие руины. На земле повсюду были огромные воронки от снарядов, трупы людей и животных.” 

Мария оставила маму и сестру в здании драматического театра вместе с тысячей других мирных жителей, ждавших эвакуационные автобусы. 

“Я проведала дядю, который, к счастью, оказался жив, – говорит девушка. –  Когда возвращалась к маме с сестрой, увидела, как самолет сбросил бомбы на театр. Фасад здания обвалился. Боковые стены упали внутрь. Обломки стен смешались с частями человеческих тел. Все было в огне. Было очень много раненых. Они кричали, выли от боли, звали на помощь. Я подумала, что мои родные погибли. Потом услышала, как они меня зовут. Звук шел словно из-под земли. Я решила, что у меня от шока начались галлюцинации. Что на самом деле никто меня не звал, что это трупы со мною разговаривали.” 

Родные нашли Марию в шоковом состоянии у разрушенного входа в театр и отвели в сквер неподалеку, где собирались те, кто выжил после авиаудара по театру. 

“Приходить в себя времени не было: сквер начали обстреливать из артиллерии. Мы спрятались в филармонии. Там тоже было много людей. Когда стемнело, российские солдаты стали обстреливать филармонию. Тогда мы поняли, что они обстреливали места, где прячутся мирные жители, – говорит Мария. – Я лежала ночью на полу филармонии, слушала непрекращающиеся взрывы и звуки разбивающегося стекла. Было темно и очень страшно. Я подумала, что меня не убили дома, не убили в театре, но здесь точно убьют, если я сейчас же не выберусь.” 

На рассвете, Мария, ее родные и другие жители Мариуполя выбрались из города и направились в деревню Милекино, что в 15 километрах от города.  

“Мы шли по заснеженным полям, переступая мины. На блокпосту рядом с деревней российские солдаты очень долго досматривали мужчин. Многих не пропускали и отводили в сторону. Что с ними было дальше – страшно подумать.” 

Переночевав в Милекино, семья добралась пешком до Бердянска, где они сели на эвакуационный автобус. 

“По дороге нас останавливали на десятках блокпостов. Русские солдаты каждого тщательно проверяли, осматривали вещи, все фото в телефоне. На последнем блокпосту мы простояли всю ночь – нас не хотели пропускать на подконтрольную украинским военным территорию. Утром, когда наш автобус все же поехал вперед и мы увидели украинский флаг – мы рыдали.”

Neueste Artikel

Faktor Druk macht weiter

Vor gut einer Woche wurde eine der größten Druckereien der Ukraine von einer russischen Rakete getroffen. Auch KATAPULTU wurde dort gedruckt. Trotz der sieben toten Mitarbeiter macht der Betrieb weiter. Ein Besuch bei Freunden.

Chinafreundliche Staaten hinter den US-amerikanischen Defensivlinien

Durch Partnerschaften mit Nauru, Kiribati und den Salomonen gewinnt China an Einfluss im Pazifik und macht dadurch die USA nervös. Daran ändert sich auch nach dem jüngsten Premierswechsel auf den Salomonen nichts.

Buchbinderei von Faktor Druk in Charkiw zerstört

KATAPULTU wurde mehrfach bei Faktor Druk in Charkiw gedruckt. Gestern wurde unsere Druckerei von einer Rakete getroffen.